Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wells Animation Response

I've always admired cell animation since I learned everything it took to make an animation like that. I have always admired the effort and work that went into animation like that, but I had never really thought of different forms of animation other than narrative and experimental. This article really opened my eyes to many different forms of animation. For me I have always loved Disney's cel animation the best of all their films. I'm definitely not as fond of the newer 3D animation style. I also love experimental film, and the idea that animation and experimental can come together is amazing. I love how music and animation can also be similar to each other. I find it extremely interesting that animation can be composed, and have a rhythm just like music does. This makes me remember one of my favorite films from Disney, Fantasia, and as I see the film now it definitely is a more experimental film than the typical narrative. The film all together has no sound, except for in between music pieces. Even as a kid I always enjoyed watching how the animation and music worked together so perfectly. I always found it fascinating that someone could animate what they heard. I feel like I could watch fantasia a million times over because I enjoy watching the combination of music and animation. Fantasia does have some narrative elements within some of the songs, but overall I really see it as more abstract animation. Many of the animations are colored, and moved in ways that match the music perfectly. It fascinates me to watch this type of animation, and I wonder if maybe I could learn to do something similar to this. I would love to be able to animate my own vision from music.

No comments:

Post a Comment