Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Projections Of Sound On Image Response

I find it really interesting how much sound and image can affect someone's perception of a piece. In most documentaries film makers use dialogue to go over different visions, and it can give the audience a different feel than if they did it a different way. Documentaries usually put the dialogue they want over specific images to make the audience feel a certain way. Sounds can also create a very odd feel. I remember watching a film one time where various sounds were placed over images, but the sounds and images did not go together. I remember feeling really conflicted on how to react to the film because the mixture of the strange sounds and images made me feel really uncomfortable. This really shows how much sound can affect a film. Music is also a huge factor into how an audience feels about things. In my editing class we saw how different people attached different scores to their pieces. It was really interesting to see how different the piece felt with having a different type of music. One group could have a serious sounding piece so it made the film serious, but another could have funny music and the piece had a completely different feel, even though they had the same footage. I also have done a little bit of experimenting with sound myself with my experimental class last year. I loved creating an entire soundscape, then putting the image to it. I thought it was interesting trying to put image to sound, rather than sound to image. Sound can really cause a piece to feel a certain way whether that is through dialogue, sound effects, or music, it causes the piece to have a specific feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment